There is much debate in the world of travelers. What is the right way to travel? What is the wrong way? Some people claim that there is no wrong way to travel. I am here to tell you, those people are wrong.
Here are the top 20 wrong ways to travel:
- Wake up in your own bed, stay in bed all day.
- Wake up in your own bed, move to couch, stay on couch all day.
- Sleep in your own bed all day.
- Sleep on couch all day.
- Sleep on floor all day.
- Sleep anywhere all day.
- Never exit home.
- Never leave zip code you were born in.
- Go to work, go home, never do anything different.
- Work from home, never leave home.
- Sit in mom’s basement playing video games all day.
- Sit in dad’s basement playing video games all day.
- Sit in sister’s basement watching TV all day.
- Sit in anyone’s basement doing anything all day.
- Scroll through Reddit all day, do nothing else.
- Scroll through Facebook all day, do nothing else.
- Scroll through Instagram all day, do nothing else.
- Watch Youtube videos all day, do nothing else.
- Sit at home, eat Cheetos all day, do nothing else.
- Sit at home, eat chocolate all day, do nothing else.
Get outside, walk around the block, say hello to a new neighbor, drive to the next zip code over, eat at the new (or old) restaurant down the street. Travel does not have to be big and grand to get the job done. You do not need 30k follower on Instagram or a mediocre travel blog to prove you went somewhere. You do not need a drone or an iPhone X to prove you’ve traveled. In fact, you don’t need to prove you’ve traveled at all. You should travel for you. You should travel because it will broaden your life view, it will expand the world you live in, it will enrich your mind and the minds of those around you.
There are absolutely ways you might choose to travel which make me a little sick at the thought of them and I’m sure the reverse is true. But that doesn’t make me right and you wrong, or vice versa. Just as the fact that my favorite color is purple doesn’t make the fact that your favorite color is yellow incorrect or less valid.
Step out the door, see what gem you can uncover. Yes, Angkor Wat is a magical wonderland, and I hear Macchu Picchu isn’t too bad either. But starting with the world around you will do just fine, or if you’d prefer to drink fruity cocktails at an all-inclusive resort in Cancun, or go on a shopping spree at The Mall of America. O.K.
“If I’m an advocate for anything, it’s to move. As far as you can, as much as you can. Across the ocean, or simply across the river. Walk in someone else’s shoes or at least eat their food. It’s a plus for everybody.” –Anthony Bourdain
The Country Jumper contains some affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I will earn a commission at no extra cost to you. Thanks for reading!